New York State Speeding Tickets
Ontario Drivers with New York Speeding Tickets
Where an Ontario driver receives a speeding ticket in New York State, the speeding ticket comes back to their Ontario drivers licence.
Where convicted of speeding in NY State the ticket will be on the Ontario driving abstract for 3 years and is available for the insurance to see.
The speeding ticket will be recorded by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation as an “Out of Province Conviction”.
NY State Penalties
New York State tickets have the following penalties:
- fine assessed by the NY State court
- tickets have demerit points
- possible licence suspensions for high speeds
- conviction is transferred to Ontario Ministry of Transport.
New York State is a completely different country from Canada.
Although the laws for speeding may be similar, there can be completely different applications of the law and how drivers are treated.
In Ontario, the traffic court system works relatively the same throughout the province.
In New York State, the traffic courts are may work independently from each other, set their own standards, fines and penalties.
Where an Ontario driver is convicted of a New York State speeding ticket, the ticket comes back to Ontario with the following penalties:
- conviction is transferred to the Ontario licence
- any demerit points are transferred/added
- can cause a licence suspension of an Ontario licence
- will affect your insurance rates
Any conviction for a New York State traffic ticket comes back to your Ontario drivers licence for 3 years from the conviction date, including any demerit points.
The conviction for a a New York State speeding ticket will be listed as an “Out of Province Conviction”.
Fighting NY State Tickets
Different from Ontario, a lawyer must represent drivers in the New York State traffic court.
The New York State Lawyer may be able to;
- drop the speeding ticket to no demerit points
- change the speeding ticket to a parking fine, which would not appear on a driving record
- cancel the ticket if the driver takes a New York State online driving course
- negotiate any acceptable penalty or payment to the court
To fight a New York State speeding ticket, although Ontario drivers can go to New York State to fight the ticket themselves, drivers are best represented by a New York State Lawyer who knows the laws, courts and traffic court system.
Drivers can arrange in Ontario for a New York State Lawyer through OTT Legal Traffic Ticket Defence.
Typical fees to fight a speeding ticket in New York State are five hundred dollars or less for most tickets.
For more information on fighting a speeding ticket in New York State contact OTT Legal >