New York State Speeding Tickets
New York State and Ontario share speeding ticket information under reciprocal agreements for their licensed drivers.
Ontario Drivers with New York Speeding Tickets
This means that any Ontario driver who is convicted of a speeding ticket in NY State will have the speeding ticket appear on their Ontario drivers licence.
The speeding ticket will be recorded by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation as a “Out of Province Conviction”.
New York State Speeding Tickets;
- Can affect your insurance rates
- Any demerit points are added to the Ontario Licence
- Any licence suspensions can be transferred over
- May have additional fees and surcharges above the amount of the fine.
New York State is a completely different country from Canada. As such, although the laws for speeding may be similar, there can be completely different applications of the law and how drivers are treated.
In Ontario, the traffic court system works relatively the same throughout the province. In New York State, the traffic courts are allowed to work independently from each other, set their own standards, fines and penalties.
Penalties for New York State Speeding Tickets
Where an Ontario driver is convicted of a New York State speeding ticket, the ticket may have the following penalties in addition to any fine:
- the conviction is transferred to your Ontario licence
- any demerit points are transferred to your Ontario licence
- New York State speeding tickets can cause a licence suspension of an Ontario licence
- convictions can affect your insurance rates.
- New York State speeding tickets can affect your employment.
Any conviction for a New York State traffic ticket comes back to your Ontario drivers licence, including any demerit points. The conviction says on the Ontario drivers licence abstract for three (3) years.
The conviction for a a New York State speeding ticket will be listed as a “Out of Province Conviction”.
Fighting NY State Speeding Tickets
Different from Ontario, a lawyer must represent drivers in the New York State traffic court. The New York State Lawyer may be able to;
- Drop the speeding ticket to no demerit points.
- Change the speeding ticket to a parking fine, which would not appear on a driving record.
- Cancel the ticket if the driver takes a New York State online driving course.
- Negotiate any acceptable penalty or payment to the court.
To fight a New York State speeding ticket, although Ontario drivers can go to New York State to fight the ticket themselves, drivers are best represented by a New York State Lawyer who knows the laws, courts and traffic court system.
Drivers can arrange in Ontario for a New York State Lawyer through OTT Legal Traffic Ticket Defense.
Typical fees to fight a speeding ticket in New York State are five hundred dollars or less for most tickets.
For more information on fighting a speeding ticket in New York State contact OTT Legal >
Information about Speeding Tickets
The purpose of this page is to provide information about speeding tickets. As the law and enforcement for speeding is constantly evolving and changing, OntarioSpeeding cannot be responsible for any information that has changed or is out of date. Any person who is charged with an offence in Canada is permitted to have their day in court, to meet their accuser, to have a judge make a decision as to guilt or innocence and to fight their speeding ticket. If you are considering fighting your speeding ticket, we recommend that you seek legal advice that is readily available from the thousands of licensed paralegals in Ontario.
Unfortunately, too many motorists don’t know their rights, listen to the wrong people and do not understand the insurance implications and penalties of a speeding ticket in Ontario. OntarioSpeeding.com recommends OTT Legal Services for fighting speeding tickets in Ontario.